Eric’s primary practice involves the defense of all types of employment-related lawsuits through inception, litigation, and trial. He also regularly provides counsel to employers regarding day-to-day personnel management decisions, complaint investigations, best policies and practices, and compliance with state and federal law. He is also highly versed in e-discovery related issues, having been a significant contributor in the drafting of the 2009 California Electronic Discovery Act.
Eric represents employers ranging from large, nationwide corporations to those with only a few employees. He focuses on matters involving the Fair Employment and Housing Act, whistleblower retaliation, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour violations, and all related claims for private employers and public entities before governmental agencies and in state and federal court.
- Second Chaired Khoiny v. Dignity Health, BC 575230, to long cause defense verdict, 2019 (after 8-4 mistrial for defense, 2018) (named one of the Daily Journal’s Top Defense Verdicts of the week);
- Second Chaired Dodd v. Haight Brown & Bonesteel, BC 413813 to verdict, 2010;
- Second Chaired Bujko v. Los Angeles Unified School District, EC 044839 to defense verdict, 2009;
- Second Chaired Jones v. Catholic Healthcare West/California Hospital Medical Center, BC 274 284, settled after opening statement, 2003;
- Second Chaired Chung v. KTE, arbitration defense award, 2003; and
- Second Chaired Caster v. South Bay Free Clinic, BC 227129, settled mid-trial due to insurer bankruptcy, 2001.
Admitted to Practice
United States District Courts:
- Central District of California
- Southern District of California
- Northern District of California
- Eastern District of California
- B.A., Law and Society and Political Science, University of California, Santa Barbara
- J.D., Southwestern University School of law
- New State Law Requires Notice To Workers Before Mass Layoffs, Los Angeles Daily Journal (December 26, 2002)
- WARN Watch – Employers Laying Off Workers Must Follow Notice Requirements, Los Angeles Daily Journal (November 29, 2001)
- Elected Board Member, Association of Southern California Defense Counsel (Labor and Employment Subcommittee Chair, Amicus Committee Member, CACI Committee Member)
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association Labor and Employment Section (Saturday Morning Education and Annual Retreat Committees)
- Member, Beverly Hills and American Associations (Labor and Employment Section, Entertainment Law Section)
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Member, Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Executive Committee Member, Provisors
- Speaker/Moderator, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Employment Litigation at LASC During COVID: A View From The Bench, November 7, 2020.
- Speaker, Employment Law CACI Jury Instructions, Association of Southern California Defense Counsel Annual Seminar, 2020 and webinar Calculating Exposure, Damages & PAGA Penalties for Mediation/Settlement in Wage and Hour Class Action, October 22, 2020
- Moderator, Employment Law breakout session, Association of Southern California Defense Counsel Annual Seminar, 2014 and Summary Judgment Presentation, 2019.
- Moderator, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Unpacking the Litigation Toolbox: The Nuts and Bolts of Employment Law, November 9, 2013.
- Speaker, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Everything You Wanted To Know About Retaliation But Were Afraid To Ask, January 28, 2012.
- Was one of the defense-side drafters of the amendments to the California Evidence Code and Code of Civil Procedure which became the 2009 California Electronic Discovery Act. Served as legal and technical advisor to the California Defense Counsel on e- discovery issues.
- AV Rating (highest possible rating) from Martindale-Hubbell
- Named Los Angles Magazine Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star (2005-12) and Super Lawyer (2013-2020).
- Recipient of the Patrick A. Long President’s Award in recognition of exemplary service to the organization, Association of Southern California Defense Counsel, 2019.
- Nominated as one of “2008 ‘Forty Under 40’” award recipients by the San Fernando Valley Business Journal.